Creative Wedding Cakes and Alternatives

Note: To all of you Cake Boss obsessed readers, this does not apply.

The average wedding cake costs about $600. If you're like me, you want to find a way around paying a bundle for something that only lasts one day. You want something unique, fun, and that involves some choice and variations for your guests. My clients have found a lot of ways to get creative about this, especially if they're having a lot of guests. Check out some of these fun alternatives...

{found via White Swallows}
Cupcakes! 
Cupcakes are pretty popular right now. You can have one smaller cake for cutting photo-opp purposes and gorgeous white cupcakes for everyone else.



B.Y.O.P. (Bring Your Own Pie)
One of my brides had her friends and family bring homemade pies and had a small white cake for cutting with her new hubby. It was very sweet and rustic and it seemed like everyone was very excited to contribute. I love the idea of various different family recipes for desserts also - so sweet.


{Image via Real Simple}
DIY Desert Bars
You can do something creative, fun and different like an ice cream cookie bar! Heather and Josh did this for their wedding and I was slightly obsessed. They had a vendor that set up and served for about an hour at their reception. I chose Pumpkin ice cream wedged between Snickerdoodle cookies....SO YUM.



{from the wedding of Jenna and Jason}
Desert via your Caterer
Another one of my couples had a cake for "show" (I'm not sure if it was even a real cake!). Their catering company served the desert to their large wedding. Guests had a choice of the above chocolate cake and an espresso ice cream dish. Ask your caterer if this is an option.
MONEY SAVING TIP: Have a bakery make two or three different sized round white cakes, stack them up on your own, and decorate with flowers!




{found via Green Wedding Shoes}
Wedding Cake Buffet
Why choose one?! You can have various different cakes (hopefully decorated with a similar theme so it's not TOO hodge-podge), lovely porcelain cake stands, and cute little signs so that guests can pick their own!



Stacked Cheese with Grapes
I've actually seen a few older couples doing this. At first I thought this was kind of gross but being a big wine/cheese fan myself I don't think it's that crazy anymore. It would be beautiful for a Tuscan-style wedding and would allow you to get creative with various desserts.




Now for some crazy cakes that found.....

{from The Knot}
Rice Crispies

Pizza

Doughnuts
My mom actually did this for one of my birthdays because I love Krispy Kreme!
Pin It button on image hover